Transition to District-Based Elections
The City Council is seeking public input in planning the City's change to district-based elections.
As the result of a recent letter demanding that City Council elections transition from “at-large” to “by-district,” the City of Jurupa Valley is considering a change in how voters elect the City Council.
Beginning in 2018, City Council members will be elected by-district, instead of the current at-large citywide elections in which all voters have the ability to vote for all City Council seats.
Each of the following Drafts Maps includes five potential Council Districts and the sequencing of elections for consideration by the City Council. Also included are charts showing the demographic and voting information for each proposed Council District on each map.
Please visit the following link to find the interactive Council District Maps: http://www.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=6112c18179684f7983cdc3a5fc42d782
The Draft District Maps may be viewed digitally or in person at the City Clerk’s Office, 8930 Limonite Avenue during regular business hours (Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm).
The Draft Maps of the proposed Council districts and the sequence of elections will be available for public review beginning on June 27, 2017 at the following locations:
(1) City Hall, 8930 Limonite Avenue, Jurupa Valley CA 92509;
(2) Louis Rubidoux Library, 5840 Mission Boulevard, Jurupa Valley CA 92509;
(3) Glen Avon Library, 9244 Galena Street, Jurupa Valley CA 92509;
(4) Center for Community Action & Environmental Justice, 3840 Sunnyhill Drive, Suite A, Jurupa Valley, CA 92509;
(5) Jurupa Unified School District Office, 4850 Pedley Road, Jurupa Valley, CA 92509;
(6) Parent Involvement & Community Outreach Training & Support Services Center, 3924 Riverview Drive, Jurupa Valley, CA 92509;
(7) Rubidoux Family Resource Center, 5473 Mission Boulevard, Jurupa Valley, CA 92509
Opportunities for Public Comment
A Public Hearing regarding the Draft District Maps will be held Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. at the City Council Chamber, 8930 Limonite Avenue. The next scheduled Public Hearing will be held Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. at the City Council Chamber, 8930 Limonite Avenue. Residents will have the opportunity to provide comments and input at each Public Hearing.
Comments may be submitted electronically by scrolling down to the form at the bottom of this web page.
Any person wishing to comment on the proposed Draft Maps may also send correspondence to: Vicki Wasko, City Clerk, 8930 Limonite Avenue, Jurupa Valley, CA 92509, or by email at: email@example.com