The code enforcement officer may impose an investigation fee to cover associated costs. Additionally, fees are assessed if permitting of structures is allowed. Contact our Building Department at (951) 332-6464 for more information on permitting. If the violation cannot be approved or legalized by a permit, you may be required to obtain a demolition permit and immediately remove the violation, cease the unlawful use and/or demolish and restore the structure to its original permitted condition. In less severe circumstances you may be given (30) days to cease the unlawful use or demolish the unlawful structure. If you fail to comply with our direction, you may be subject to an administrative citation or further legal action.
Where you fall within this penalty range is based upon the following:
- The seriousness of the violation. Could the violation harm human health/safety or the environment?
- The length of time the violation has existed
- The diligence and cooperation of the property owner
- The effect of the violation on other properties.
- The owner's level of responsibility for the violation. Did the owner create or add to the violation?