City Manager's Office
Meet Rod Butler, City Manager
Rod Butler has been City Manager of the City of Jurupa Valley since December 2019. He has nearly 30 years of local government management experience and previously served as City Manager for four California cities: Crescent City in Del Norte County, Patterson in Stanislaus County, Upland in San Bernardino County, and Port Hueneme in Ventura County.
Mr. Butler’s areas of expertise include economic development, budget and financial management, building and developing executive teams, and working closely with City Councils to identify key priorities and goals, then implementing effective strategies for achieving those goals. Mr. Butler earned a bachelor’s degree in Political Science from the University of California at Riverside and a Master of Public Administration degree from California State University at Long Beach. He is a member of the International City-County Management Association and the California City Management Foundation.
Mr. Butler’s initial goals in Jurupa Valley include:
- Increasing the City’s long-term financial stability
- Selecting the City’s first in-house and full-time executive team
- Providing critical leadership to advance major capital improvement projects and economic development opportunities
About the City Manager's Office
The City of Jurupa Valley employs a Council-Manager form of government whereby the City Manager is the administrative head of the City and reports directly to the City Council. The City Manager is responsible for the efficient administration of all affairs and departments operating within the City under the policies established by the City Council.
Functions of the City Manager’s Office include:
- Administration of the City’s communications, media relations, and public relations
- Coordinating intergovernmental relations and legislative advocacy
- Coordination of the implementation of City Council policies and programs
- Developmental Services
- Economic Development
- Emergency Preparedness
- Human Resources Division
- Providing overall direction to the departments that administer City programs and services